Sunday, 30 August 2009

A 'Blessing in Disguised' Day

We have a 'blessing in disguised' day on 30Aug. I am extremely surprised when Jeremy told me that someone had stolen my credit card and attempted to fraud. Apparently, the bank called him to verify a declined transaction. It was mentioned that this person had been trying to book air tickets online with Emirates with amount more than 4k at early morning of 4am! It was really a blessing that the transaction declined even after several attempts of purchasing on line. Immediately Jeremy cancelled both cards. It was coincidentally that my card was not with me, but I was confident that I have not lost it. I have placed it inside a small pouch and left it in the office. To verify the truth, I suggest we make a trip back to office and verify if my card is in my pouch. Nonetheless, Jeremy advises that it serves no purpose of verification, importantly is to make a police report. After settling the kids at home, we drove off to the nearest police post. As a procedure, a report was filed. The policeman had highlighted that there were several similar cases and they had recently caught a China syndicate who was involved in many fraud cases using credit cards. The syndicate was capable of printing their own credit cards with numbers and details that belongs to other owners. I have never thought that such incident will happen to me and luckily the transaction had not been a success. On our way home, I was joking with Jeremy that this person must be real cursing that who is this person that holds a Gold credit card but damn shit that doesn't have money! haha! Down in luck that failed to take advantage on the card. The next day when the office, my card was still in tact inside the pouch. I cant explained how those syndicate could have retrieved my information. They are indeed 'clever'. I have filed a case with the bank to further investigate this fraud case. Believed that since the syndicate attempted to book air tickets online, the system could have captured some personal information. Hoped the bank will have some clue and work with the police to put him in court. I cant imagine what will happen if the illegal transactions went through.

No comments: